Our favourite winter cycling jackets for road cyclists
If you’re thinking of riding throughout winter you should think about investing in a decent winter jacket. There’s nothing worse than being cold out on the bike. Luckily there are plenty of options to help you stay warm and dry during those cold days out.
A winter cycling jacket is often hard to get right. Most people will be wanting a well-fitting, waterproof, windproof, durable jacket, with enough pockets to carry ride essentials. Not all jackets will suit everyone though so you may end up trying a few before you get the right jacket for you.
Here are a few things to look out for when buying a winter cycling jacket:
Materials: A decent winter jacket should be warm, comfortable, windproof and as waterproof as possible. Most jackets will eventually start to give way to rain is it’s really pouring. Look for a jacket with a fleece inner and neck lining and a waterproof coating such as Teflon or Gore-Tex.
Cut: The cut of the jacket can be a bit hit or miss depending on your body type. You want something that’s not too tight so that you are able to wear a couple of layers under it whilst not being too baggy and flapping about as you ride. Sometimes the torso fit will fit but the neck can be a be tight. If possible try them on before buying.
Features: Three pockets on the back is essential for winter riding as you’ll want to carry a few more bits than normal. A handy waterproof valuables pocket that zips up is also a bonus feature. If you’ve not gone for a hi-vis colour, reflective detailing is also a good thing to have.
Now, let’s move on to our guide to some of the best winter cycling jackets.
Endura FS260 Pro SL Shell Winter Cycling Jacket
Incredible water resistance and outstanding breathability you can pack away in your pocket. The Endura FS260 Pro SL Shell jacket is hard to beat when it comes to your outer road cycling layer. Not only is the Exoshell40™ three-layer fabric highly waterproof (20,000mm) and breathable (40,000), it’s also lightweight enough to pack down into a jersey pocket, making it the perfect quick-and-convenient choice for riders who need maximum versatility from their clothing.
- Lightweight, waterproof and breathable Exoshell40 3 layer fabric
- Fully seam sealed
- Stretch waterproof shoulder, side and cuff panels
- Athletic, non-flap fit
- Zipped access to pockets on rear
- External gel pocket
- Reflective trims on hem and sleeve
dhb Flashlight Force Waterproof Winter Cycling Jacket
The dhb Flashlight Force Jacket is the highlight of the dhb Flashlight Range. This top spec, high performing jacket will keep you dry on the wettest of commutes, with critically placed high quality 3M™ Scotchlite™ reflective prints and logos providing you with the highest level of reflectivity in these low visibility weather conditions.
- New and improved version of the previous Highline jacket
- Highly technical 3 layer construction and fully seam taped is high performing, durable, and reduces weight
- Critically 3M™ Scotchlite™ positioned reflective print and logos and trims provide 360 degree visibility low light conditions
- Zipped side vents can be opened or closed to allow for quick temperature regulation
- Two zipped hand pockets and one chest pocket with YKK Aquaguard™ Vislon zippers
- Additional welted zip pocket at the rear
- Adjustable hem with dropped tail gives protection from road spray
- Fleece lined collar for comfortable, abrasion free neck coverage
What wevelo say
The dhb Flashlight is my go-to jacket when commuting during the darker mornings and nights. It’s extremely bright, fits well, especially around the neck. The fleece neck lining is nice and soft. So far it’s held up well and seems to be very durable. Perfect if you’re looking to be seen, comfortable and warm. One of the best winter cycling jackets for commuters!
Castelli Alpha ROS Light Soft Shell Winter Cycling Jacket
Excelling in both wet and dry weather, the Castelli Alpha ROS Light Jacket represents functional waterproofing without compromising breathability or comfort. Come rain or shine, this jersey is guaranteed to have you covered. Constructed with windproof arms and front panels, the Alpha ROS protects from blustery winds coming into the colder seasons. This is combined with a waterproof rear Nano Flex Xtra Dry panel that keeps the water out whilst remaining breathable.
- Temperature range: 8°C-15°C
- Double layered – wind and rain protection
- Windstopper 150 Front and sleeves
- Nano Flex Xtra Dry back
- ProSecco Strada inner liner with second front zip
- Front zippered pocket & three rear pockets with laser-cut drain holes
- Close body fit
Gore C7 Gore-Tex Shakedry Winter Cycling Jacket
Your rides are demanding: this jacket will keep you performing at the highest level in all weather. With ultimate breathability and a durable beading surface, the jacket can accompany you on hard rides in variable conditions, including heavy rain.
- Gore-Tex Active Jacket with innovative Shakedry product technology
- Gore-Tex Active Product: Lightweight, extremely breathable, durably waterproof and windproof
- Slim fit
- Reflective logo and print on sides
- Reinforced hem for easier closure of zipper
- Front zip pocket doubles as a stow-away pocket
- Zip tags for easy opening
- Weight 107 gram (Size L)
What wevelo say
I’m not entirely sure about recommending a black jacket for winter riding, but having had one of these for a while now, I have no issues recommending it. It may be expensive, but this is a lightweight, breathable, and very waterproof jacket. It’s super lightweight and packs down small enough to fit in a jersey pocket making it very versatile. It’s not the warmest jacket on the list but keeps the wind and rain at bay. If you’re looking for one of the best performing winter cycling jackets around, check this out.
Rapha Classic Winter Cycling Jacket
The foulest of winter conditions demands a jacket that will keep you riding no matter what. Thanks to Rapha’s Classic Winter Jacket you’ll enjoy protection from the incessant rain and the cold winter winds that keep less dedicated riders indoors. Not only is the Polartec® Power Shield Pro® waterproof and windproof, but it’s also highly breathable too – this is a vital feature that prevents you chilling from the inside and maintains dry comfort when putting in harder efforts. Even greater ventilation can also be introduced with the underarm zipped vents, perfect for a long climb.
- Waterproof and wind-resistant with comfortable stretch
- Highly breathable fabric regulates temperature during hard efforts
- Taped internal seams to keep out the worst of the weather
- Concealed front pocket
- Debossed logo on sleeve
- Drainage holes in rear pockets
- Polartec® Power Shield Pro®